Many of us fly to Asia via Helsinki on Finn Air. If you have a layover or a slightly extended stop in Helsinki, plan to step out of the airport and spend some time in this beautiful city!
Here are the seven spots to visit:
1. Kamppi Chapel of Silence, a chapel in a beautiful wooden building in the Kampinmalmi neighborhood of Helsinki
2. Helsinki Cathedral, a piece of majestic architecture in Helsinki's Vironniemi neighborhood
3. Oodi Central Library in Helsinki gives us an elevated library experience with a gorgeous modern facade
4. Sibelius Park's Organ Pipe structure dedicated to composer Jean Sibelius
5. Also known as the 'Church in the Rock', Temppeliakio Church has a copper dome. It is a special experience, very well worth it. There is an entrance fee to get in.
6. Helsinki Central Railway Station is an iconic building with very nice architecture
7. The Three Smiths statue of three naked men hammering on an anvil symbolizes human labor and cooperation between people. It is realistic with tones of classicism. Find it at the intersection of Aleksanterinkatu and Mannerheimintie next to the Stockmann department store. It was made by Felix Nylund and unveiled in 1932
Take a minute to look around - There are some classic designs in architecture, and even on handbags and glassware - Look up Marimekko and Iittala! And take photos of all the cool stuff!
Stop by a post office and see how easy it is to mail a letter!
Take a walk at The Esplanadi Park by the water...and listen to a local playing an instrument!
Remember to try some rye bread and bilberry-infused gin (or just plain old bilberry juice!). And if you happen to like meat, some reindeer meat!
There are vegetarian food spots in Helsinki.
Yes Yes Yes is a sweet spot, seasonal menu. Food is vegetarian, yay!
Levant offers Middle Eastern appetizers
Zucchini is Helsinki's oldest vegetarian restaurant that serves vegetarian and vegan food
Prefer to see the city at your own pace? Sign up for the Hop On, Hop Off buses operated by Royal Line Oy
Rather be on Segway tour? Check that out
Admire Helsinki from the water on a 1.5 hour sightseeing cruise!
If you are in the city for longer, consider buying a Helsinki Card City or Helsinki Card Region. This could be a 24-48-72 hour card that you use to get complimentary admission into museums and attractions such as the Suomenlinna Sea Fortress or Amos Rex as well as even for some public transport to and from the airport
Experience a Finnish sauna and campfire lunch along with a national park hike!
Visit Tallinn in Estonia! Only 50 miles away, a day trip to Estonia is actually a great idea. With its cobbled streets and colorful architecture, a trip to Tallinn is well worth it. You can make it easier by joining a tour by Carisa Travel OY and discover fun parts of the city
Also about 50 miles away from Helsinki is Porvoo. The old town is significant and so is the river valley. Helsinki Tour company takes you to this historic city where to get to hear stories and experience the sights and sounds of Porvoo
Los Angeles-based Green Sea Shells is all about fun family experiences, and healthy vegetarian eating. Subscribe to get LA's fun things to do in your mailbox, and even some world travel and food tidbits. Follow us on our social media platforms - FaceBook, Instagram. Know that some of the links in this article are affiliate, commission-earning links at no cost to you.